Trauma can happen at any time and for any reason. The symptoms of trauma can last for a few short months or a lifetime. If you have the following symptoms, you may have the diagnosis of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD.
• Flashbacks-re-experiencing the event
• Avoidance of the people, places, events that may remind you of the trauma
• Difficulty sleeping
• Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others
• Hypervigilance or a state of increased alertness
• Difficulty going to sleep or staying asleep
There are several types of therapy to help with lowering and/or eliminating the symptoms of PTSD. One of these is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing or EMDR. EMDR uses rapid eye movements similar to those we naturally have during our deep sleep or REM sleep to help us process memories and the negative emotions attached to those memories. EMDR is not a hypnosis. The client is fully awake and aware at all times. EMDR has been used by the VA to help returning war veterans along with being used in the public sector for PTSD.
Katrina Abshere, LCSW is experienced in using EMDR and can help. Please call the Forging Place at 479-310-9096 and ask for an appointment with Katrina and let us help you improve your quality of life by managing and relieving the symptoms of PTSD.